I just love the Flinders Ranges and camping. So I thought I would get my family to come with me to Rawnsley Park Station campground for a long weekend. Being the mean father I am, I purposely goaded my unsuspecting daughter into launching a tirade against camping.
Anyway, I hope you enjoy our little family holiday video.
Where do I stay when I’m in The Flinders Ranges?
I usually go two or three times are year. I personally think winter is the best time to go, for a start you can fire up a massive campfire and drink port and eat Tim Tams. Does life get any better?
If I travel up late, Rawnsley Park Station is a great first stop.
- It’s a sealed road (at least to the turn off, where there is maybe 2km of nice gravel road)
- Plenty of camp sites
- Easy access to the scenic areas of the park, such as Moralana Scenic Drive, Wilpena and Bunyeroo Valley.
- Showers etc to keep any princesses you may have happy.
- Awesome views at dawn and dusk.
- Well stocked shop and more importantly petrol. The petrol station at Hawker closes pretty early, I’ve been caught short on petrol a few times now.
I also love camping at Brachina Gorge. Heaps to explore here and on a good day you can see Yellow Footed Rock Wallabies, seeing these little guys is something I never tire of.